Stories from the Toms River Yacht Club
Toms River Yacht Club
Toms River, NJ 08753
The Toms River Yacht Club was established in 1871 and continues to be one of the most active sailing and social clubs in the Barnegat Bay area of New Jersey. This year round club makes full use of the 1200 feet of waterfront equipped with ninety boat slips on the beautiful Toms River.
Toms River Yacht Club has a long history of hosting championship sailing events. In the past TRYC has hosted the Flying Scot North American Championship, the Optimist New Jersey State Championship and the Snipe North American Championship. The Toms River Yacht Club has earned the BBYRA Brown Trophy for Excellence in Race Management three years in a row.
TOMS RIVER YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER
From the Commodore:
“Toms River Yacht Club is proud to be a Founding Member of the National Sailing Center and Hall of Fame. It is this type of effort that will serve the sailing community now and in the future and assure the preservation of our sailing heritage. Toms River Yacht Club, having been founded in 1871, has a keen appreciation of the history of sailing and looks forward to joining in this effort.”
Bob Minarchi – Commodore
On July 1, 1871, a group of men interested in yachting and racing organized the Toms River Yacht Club. Charles S. Haines was the first Commodore and his house, the Stewart House, was its first temporary headquarters.
On July 26, 1871, TRYC sponsored its first regatta. The course was from Long Point to Forked River and back. The prize was the Toms River Challenge Cup, a beautiful coin silver trophy designed by Joseph Chattellier who was a charter member of the club. It was created by Tiffany's, New York at a cost of $175. This coveted cup, now the oldest perpetual racing trophy in the United States, has been in competition on Barnegat Bay every year since that date. It resides in the Club's trophy case for all to admire. The stories it could tell!
In 1903, the Club Burgee, a blue "T" on a triangular white field, was authorized, and by 1911 a growing membership built a new clubhouse on Robbins Parkway. That building is now the site of the Lobster Shanty. Fifty seven years later in 1968, TRYC moved to its present location in Money Island. This move enabled the club to have more adequate docks and buildings, plus far superior sailing waters and of course, a fantastic river view. In 1972 the Money Island Yacht Club merged with TRYC. This was a happy joining which provided TRYC with not only additional property, but also many well known and experienced sailors.
In the early 20's the Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Association was organized by the yacht clubs on the Bay to promote and encourage one design racing in the area. 1922 found the TRYC joining this group, which was and still is, a unique organization. Every Saturday, from June thru Labor Day, races are sponsored by the member clubs, and staffed by many men and women who are truly dedicated to yacht racing. TRYC sponsors many perpetual trophies through the BBYRA. Among them are the Horace Doan Trophy for E-Sloops, the Franklin Doan Trophy for 15' Sneakboxes; the Commodore's Cup for Ensigns, the Robert Snyder Cup for Sanderlings and of course the prestigious Toms River Challenge Cup for A-Cats. The Club is also responsible for donating trophies for the BBYRA elimination's for the United States Sailing's Bemis, Smythe and O'Day Championship.