YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- A Youth Advisory Committee has been established to carry the mission of the National Sailing Center & Hall of Fame to the next generation.
HALL OF FAME INDUCTION
- Public nominations were open from March 1 to May 1
- 2012 Induction scheduled for October 14 at Southern Yacht Club
- 2013 Induction to be held at Bay Head Yacht Club
- Learning Math & Science Through Sailing National Consortium Regional meetings at St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco and OCSC Sailing School in Berkeley hosted jointly with Latitude 38 in January.
- NSHOF participated on “How Can We Keep Sailors Interested and Involved” and “STEM Education and Its Application” panels at the US Sailing National Sailing Program Symposium in January.
- 11th grade Anne Arundel County Public Schools Community Challenge began process of designing and building an Optimist Land Cruiser in January.
- NSHOF education presentations to the Oshkosh, WI and Sheboygan, WI school districts in February.
- Second Annual Marine and Maritime Career Fair for students, grades 8-12 at Annapolis High School. Co-sponsored by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and Eastport Yacht Club Foundation in February.
- A regional meeting of New England, New York and New Jersey members of the Learning Math and Science Through Sailing National Consortium was held at the Mystic Seaport Museum in March.
- National Consortium member Rozalia Project presented “Removing Marine Debris” program at Eastport Elementary School in April.
In partnership with SpinSheet Magazine, local students worked with Rozalia Projectís underwater robot to collect trash from Spa Creek in April.
- Strategic partnership established with Pride of Baltimore II to teach math and science through sailing and the War of 1812 history.
- 82 9th grade Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) students participated in a Project Base Learning Module during the spring semester.
- 56 9th grade AACPS STEM students participated in a field trip to the NSHOF including programs on the Pride of Baltimore II, a session with Rozalia Project underwater robot and tour of U.S. Naval Academy Hydrolab.
- 54 10th grade Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) students participated in a Project Base Learning Module during the spring semester.
- 44 10th grade AACPS STEM students participated in a field trip to NSHOF including using compass and GPS to navigate a downtown Annapolis and U.S. Naval Academy Yard challenge course in May.
- 102 9th grade AACPS STEM students participated in a field trip to NSHOF including a sail, a Midshipmen-led tour of the U.S. Naval Academy Crown Sailing Center and overview of the Navy sailing program in May.
- 283 elementary students participated in a multi-station interactive lesson aboard the Pride of Baltimore II at the NSHOF with support from the Eastport Yacht Club Foundation in May.
- 28 students from the Stanton Center and 30 5th grade students from Annapolis Elementary School went on an educational sail aboard Sultana, a replica of a 1768 British Schooner, in May.
- 20 AACPS STEM Summer Bridge students participated in the first of three two-week programs of classroom and sailing activities at the NSHOF in June.
Free public display at the Sailing Center of classic boats and including among others:
- Bull and Bear , replica 1860’s sandbaggers
- Pride of Baltimore II , replica 19th century Baltimore Topsail Schooner
- Sultana , A replica Topsail Schooner
- Lady Maryland , replica of a Chesapeake Bay Pungy Schooner
- Adventurer , Cherubini 56
- Elf , 1888 Lawley Topsail Sloop 30, 1888
- Windalier , Sparkman & Stephens 58, 1962
- S.S. Sophie , Trumpy 80, 1947
- Witchcraft , Cutter 59, 1903
- St. Brendan , Albin Vega 27
- NOAA Research Vessel, Catamaran 34
- Anytime , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1972
- Ballyhoo , J-Boat 44, 1991
- Bramare , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1964
- Chelsea Girl , Albin 36, 2001
- Daring , Bristol 45, 1980
- Dominatrix , Catalina 36, 1994
- Esperanza , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1963
- Frolic , Sabre 36, 2003
- Huntress , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1959
- Impatience , Catalina 25, 1982
- Intention , Beneteau 40
- Joint Venture , Beneteau 34, 2005
- Knot Home , Merdian Yachts 46, 2003
- No Limits Jeanneau 37, 2001
- Sails Call, Beneteau 47, 2009
- Someday , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1980
- Thistle , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1971
- True North , Elan 44, 2004
- Tusitala , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1971
- Lunar Lady , Jet Turn 42, 2007
- L’Audace , Beneteau 38, 1999
- Witchcraft , Cutter 59, 1903
Bull and Bear Sailing
- Bull and Bear have hosted 87 people for sailing.
Founding Member Yacht Club Rendezvous
- The Annapolis Yacht Club, the Chesapeake Bay Bermuda 40 Association, the Corinthian Yacht Club of Philadelphia and the Union League Yacht Club have utilized the NSHOF as their Chesapeake station for a rendezvous
Envir onmental Stewardship
- In cooperation with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, distribution at the Sailing Center of information regarding Saving the Bay.
Capital Hill Regatta (In Planning)
- A regatta involving present and former members of Congress, Congressional staff, Midshipman, regional sailors and junior sailors on U.S. Naval Academy boats.
- USA Junior Olympics Sailing Festival welcoming
- The Wounded Warriors are planning a rendezvous and regatta in September.
- Bull placed first in the Second Annual Elf Classic, repeating last year’s win, with half the crew comprised of Junior Sailors.
Sailing Resources Locator
- Interactive U.S. Map of over 1,580 sailing programs state by state.
- A growing online collection of sailing films and videos between four minutes and two hours.
- Sailing in American Literature : Listing of sailing quotes from American writers such as Thoreau, Emerson, Twain, Barth, etc.
- Photographic Exhibitions : Virtual exhibition of the photographs of Daniel Forester posted. Virtual exhibition of the photographs of Onne van der Waal posted.
- Sailing in American Art : Virtual exhibition of sailing paintings from the National Gallery of Art. Curated by Elizabeth Grazioli and Wil Scott.
- Sailing in American Music : Virtual streaming of sailing in American music. To be posted in later in 2012.
- Celebrated American Sailors : Virtual exhibition of Americans such as Albert Einstein, John Kennedy, Alexander Graham Bell, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, George Patton, Walter Cronkite, John Smith, Errol Flynn, Jimmy Buffett, Franklin Roosevelt, among others. To be posted later in 2012.
Yacht Club Stories
- A section has been posted with stories from yacht clubs from across the country
Tom Morris Library and Book Reviews
- Walter Cronkite sailing collection posted.
- Additional collections in process
- Learning Math & Science Through Sailing programs and reports
- Learning Math & Science Through Sailing National Consortium network
- Class offerings
On Line Contributions
- Founding Members
- Annual Giving
- Morris Library Campaign
- Channel Created – SailingHall – currently features 22 videos with over 5,000 views
- Active participation by over 1,700 fans
- Friends of fans reach of 668,391
- A Twitter account has been established – handle to follow is @sailinghall
- American Yacht Club, Annapolis Yacht Club, Bay Head Yacht Club, Bayview Yacht Club, Carolina Yacht Club, Chesapeake Bay Bermuda 40 Association, Chicago Yacht Club, Corinthian Yacht Club of Philadelphia, Davis Island Yacht Club, Eastern Yacht Club, Eastport Yacht Club, Fishing Bay Yacht Club, Gibson Island Yacht Squadron, Great Harbor Yacht Club, Hyannis Yacht Club, Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Larchmont Yacht Club, Lavallette Yacht Club, Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club, Mantoloking Yacht Club, Maryland Club Yacht Squadron, Manasquan Yacht Club, Mantoloking Yacht Club, Maryland Club Yacht Squadron, Metedeconk Yacht Club, Nantucket Yacht Club, New York Yacht Club, Riverside Yacht Club, Olympic Sailing Association of New Orleans, Riverside Yacht Club, St. Francis Yacht Club, St. Petersburg Yacht Club, San Diego Yacht Club, San Francisco Yacht Club, Seaside Yacht Club, Seattle Yacht Club, Seawanhaka Yacht Club, Shelter Island Yacht Club, Southern Yacht Club, Storm Trysail Yacht Club, Toms River Yacht Club, and Union League Club Yacht Squadron, have all become Founding Members. Other clubs are in the process of becoming Founding Members.
- San Diego Yacht Club is planning a rendezvous at NSHOF in 2013.
- Eastern Yacht Club has challenged Annapolis Yacht Club to a race on Bull and Bear .
- New York Yacht Club has challenged Southern Yacht Club on Bull and Bear.
- List of high net worth individuals developed
- Naming Opportunities defined
- Calls on individuals underway
- Tom Morris Library Campaign underway
- Annual Giving Campaign underway
- Induction Ceremony Fund underway
- Coast Guard Auxiliary inspections
- A high school intern from Anne Arundel County Public Schools STEM program working during the summer months at the NSHOF office