Preserving America’s Sailing Legacy
Engaging Sailing’s Next Generation
Click here to open or download a printable PDF version of this report.
HALL OF FAME INDUCTION
- Public nominations were open from February 1 to April 1.
- 2013 Class was announced on June 25 at Block Island Race Week.
- 2013 Induction will be held in Annapolis on October 25-27.
- 102 organizations are part of the Learning Math & Science through Sailing National Consortium. A bi-monthly newsletter of best practices and resources is distributed.
- 195 9th & 10th grade Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) students participated in seven-week NSHOF Project Based Learning Module sessions.
- 135 9th & 10th grade AACPS STEM students participated in field trips to the NSHOF including a tour of United States Naval Academy Hydrolab and Crown Sailing Center.
- Third Annual Marine and Maritime Career Fair for students, grades 7-12 held at Annapolis High School. Co-sponsored by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and Eastport Yacht Club Foundation.
- 649 students participated in the Naval War of 1812 program undertaken in cooperation with the United States Naval Academy (Bill Koch exhibition) and Pride of Baltimore II .
- An on water lecture series has been established with the Pride of Baltimore II.
- An Educator Digikit, The Physics, Engineering and Technology of Sailing, is under development.
Free public display at the Sailing Center of boats including among others:
- Bull and Bear , replica 1860s sandbaggers
- Pride of Baltimore II, replica 19th century Baltimore Topsail Schooner
- Sultana, A replica Topsail Schooner
- Adventurer, Cherubini 56
- Elf, 1888 Lawley Topsail Sloop 30, 1888
- Windalier, Sparkman & Stephens 58, 1962
- S.S. Sophie , Trumpy 80, 1947
- Sorcerer II, Cookson 95, 1998 (Research vessel)
- Almost Crazy , Tartan 45
- Anytime , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1972
- Chock, Coast Guard Cutter
- Croix des Gardes, Dervin 50, 1947
- Donnybrook , Alan Andrews 80, 2004
- Green Flash, J/42, 2001
- Esperanza , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1963
- Insatiable , J/30
- Marine Corps One, Trojan 36
- Sails Call, Beneteau 47, 2009
- Someday , Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1980
- Stilleto , Herreshoff 48’Custom Launch, 1951
- Tusitala , Bermuda 40, 1971
Bull & Bear Sailing
- Bull and Bear have hosted 166 people for sailing.
- Bull and Bear participated in the Elf Classic Regatta with high school crews.
Founding Member Yacht Clubs
- Union League Yacht Squadron rendezvous planned for September.
- San Diego Yacht Club cruise in October.
Pride of Baltimore II
- 6,100 people visited the Pride of Baltimore II during City Fair.
Wounded Warrior Sailing Squadron
- Established the Wounded Warrior Sailing Squadron.
- Sail on the Pride of Baltimore II in May.
- Sail with Club Beneteau Chesapeake Bay planned for August 17.
- Regatta co-sponsored with United States Naval Academy, CRAB and Boeing planned for September 14.
Classic Wooden Boat Rendezvous and Race
- Fourth Annual Classic Wood Boat Rendezvous and Race planned for September 21 and 22. Bull or Bear plan to participate in Annapolis Yacht Club’s Keels & Wheels event on the same weekend.
- In cooperation with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, distribution at the Sailing Center of information regarding Saving the Bay.
- Hosted parents for Maryland State Youth Championships on board Elf.
Sailing Resources Locator
- Interactive U.S. map of over 1,580 sailing programs state by state.
- A growing online collection of sailing films and videos between four minutes and two hours.
- Sailors and Stories: U.S. Olympic Sailing Medalists, U.S. Paralympic Medalists, Rolex Yachtsman of the Year and Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year Recipients, and Nathianael G. Herreshoff Trophy Winners (US Sailing Lists)
- Sailing in American Literature : Listing of sailing quotes from American writers such as Thoreau, Emerson, Twain, Barth, etc.
- Photographic Exhibitions: Virtual exhibition of the photographs of Daniel Forester posted. Virtual exhibition of the photographs of Onne van der Waal posted.
- Sailing in American Art : Virtual exhibition of sailing paintings from the National Gallery of Art. Curated by Elizabeth Grazioli and Wil Scott.
- Sailing in American Music: Virtual streaming of sailing in American music launched curated by David Hildebrand.
Yacht Club Stories
- Additional stories from yacht clubs from across the country.
Tom Morris Library and Book Reviews
- Walter Cronkite sailing collection posted.
- Additional collections have been received.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing programs and reports.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing National Consortium network and newsletters.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing STEM 9th and 10th grade curriculum.
- War of 1812: Experiencing the Naval War of 1812
American Women In Sailing Story Project
- Postings of The America3: The Women’s Team, The Salty Sisters, Mary Patten and WIMRA as part of the American Women In Sailing Story Project,
Online Contributions and Sales
- Founding Members
- Annual Giving
- Morris Library Campaign
- Established online book store.
- Channel in place – SailingHallofFame – currently features over 30 videos with over 15,311 views and 34,656 minutes watched.
- Active participation by over 2,682 fans – friends of fans over 1,000,000.
- A Twitter account has been established with 51 followers. It was used to communicate 2013 Hall of Fame inductee announcement live.
- American Yacht Club, Annapolis Yacht Club, Bay Head Yacht Club, Bayview Yacht Club, Beverly Yacht Club, Carolina Yacht Club, Chesapeake Bay Bermuda 40 Association, Chicago Yacht Club, Corinthian Yacht Club of Philadelphia, Davis Island Yacht Club, Eastern Yacht Club, Eastport Yacht Club, Fishing Bay Yacht Club, Gibson Island Yacht Squadron, Great Harbor Yacht Club, Gulf Yachting Association, Hyannis Yacht Club, Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Island Heights Yacht Club, Larchmont Yacht Club, Lavallette Yacht Club, Lewes Yacht Club, Little Egg Harbor Yacht Club, Mantoloking Yacht Club, Maryland Club Yacht Squadron, Metedeconk Yacht Club, Nantucket Yacht Club, New York Yacht Club, Olympic Sailing Association of New Orleans, PHRF of the Chesapeake, Riverside Yacht Club, St. Francis Yacht Club, St. Petersburg Yacht Club, San Diego Yacht Club, San Francisco Yacht Club, Seaside Park Yacht Club, Seattle Yacht Club, Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, Shelter Island Yacht Club, Southern Yacht Club, Stamford Yacht Club, Storm Trysail Yacht Club, Toms River Yacht Club, Tred Avon Yacht Club, and Union League Club Yacht Squadron, have all become Founding Members.
- Other clubs are in the process of becoming Founding Members.
- San Diego Yacht Club is planning a rendezvous at NSHOF in October.
- New York Yacht Club has challenged Southern Yacht Club on Bull and Bear.
- Co-sponsored the Second Annual City Fair at Annapolis City Dock with the City of Annapolis.
- Four talks and book signings were arranged for Frank Savage and his book The Savage Way .
- West Marine Hillsmere sponsored Community Day to benefit the NSHOF Education Program.