January 23, 2012
In the fall of 1951, a group of 10 women, all wives of St. Petersburg Yacht Club members, formed a new sailing group at SPYC known as the Salty Sisters.
First sailing in 8-foot Hagerty Sea Shell prams (later replaced by Clearwater Optimist prams), as well as in Fish Class and later Rhodes 19 sloops, the Salty Sisters are a competitive and successful group of women sailors.
Their success became so widespread that the original group of 10 members quickly grew to 150, and inspired women from neighboring clubs to organize similar groups, including the Tampa Yacht & CC’s “Mainsheet Mamas”, the “Luffing Lassies” of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron, the Clearwater YC’s “Windlasses,” Davis Island YC’s “Dinghy Dames” and the Pass-a-Grille YC “Broad Reachers.”
The groups coordinated interclub regattas that have continued through the years, with perpetual trophies and fierce competition.
Preserving America’s Sailing Legacy
Engaging Sailing’s Next Generation
Stay Connected to the National Sailing Hall of Fame