As we look to the future, we are building out our team of dedicated individuals who will bring the mission to life.
The Communications & Marketing Manager executes and integrates traditional and digital media strategies to build The Sailing Museum’s and National Sailing Hall of Fame’s audience growth, cultivate visitor loyalty, drive revenue and membership and enhance the museum’s reputation. The position implements effective strategies designed to build ongoing public interest and support for the organization through community outreach, partnerships and collaborations. Internal collaboration between departments and external relationship management with media partners, vendors, agencies and designers is integral to the role.
Communications & Marketing Manager will serve as a key member of the staff, joining a small team as a trusted partner who can work closely with, and support their coworkers, and the board of directors. Must possess an appreciation for the museum’s mission and ability to be an effective spokesperson.
- Enhance organization image and position within the market and to the general public.
- Create relevant and engaging content for web and social media and ensure platforms reflect current programs and events.
- Provide copywriting and editing support for both internal and external communications.
- Support creation of content and materials across all departments.
- Develop schedules, editorial calendars and maintain deadlines.
- Maintain coordinated marketing efforts across all organization sectors.
- Follow industry trends and conduct market research.
- Fulfill internal and external requests for logos, photo files, language and other brand assets.
- Report to the Executive Director and other team members, as necessary, the metrics and analytics that track the effectiveness for all communications efforts.
- Work closely with constituents and agency of record to implement strategies that further the organizations’ brand recognition, programs and services.
- Obtain necessary consent and providing final approval on all marketing collateral, products and promotions.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement – utilizing best practices in internal and external controls and customer service – and advance a culture of philanthropy.
Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in communications, marketing, journalism or liberal arts preferred (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- 5+ years marketing and communications experience in a sailing and/or nonprofit setting.
- Knowledge of sailing required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Hands-on experience with web content management tools (WordPress).
- Demonstrated success in managing and implementing multichannel communications and marketing plans.
- Strong communication and collaborative skills to clearly convey concepts and vision to creative teams, consultants and stakeholders.
- Highly motivated and self-starting.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with flexibility to shift gears quickly, when needed.
- Solid organizational abilities, including prioritizing, attention to detail and planning.
- Willingness to step out of typical role for the good of the organization.
- Team player who values diversity; works well with others of all ages and backgrounds.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics.
- Strong candidates will have graphic design knowledge/experience (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Experience in tourism development and nonprofit an asset.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive nonprofit salary and benefit package commensurate with experience. Start date between June 1 and 15, 2021.
Applications: Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please attach pdfs of your cover letter and resume, titled with the position and your last name, email subject with Communications & Marketing Manager. No phone calls, please.