Lewes Yacht Club
Stories from the Lewes Yacht Club
Lewes Yacht Club
2701 Cedar Street
P.O. Box 2
Lewes, DE 19958-0002
The Lewes Yacht Club (LYC) was founded in 1932 to encourage water sports, boating, casual sailing, and promote racing competition. The Club is enriched by its history and
traditions, yet has a casual and relaxed atmosphere. LYC is situated at the mouth of the Delaware Bay, which feeds into the Atlantic Ocean. The Club hosts Sunday races in everything from Sunfish and Mobjacks to Open Bics, Zumas and Optis for junior racers. They also co-host the Annual Cape-to-Cape Challenge Race, between LYC and the Corinthian Yacht Club of Cape May, NJ.
LEWES YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER
From the Commodore:
“We are extremely pleased to have been able to participate with and join the National Sailing Hall of Fame as a Founding Member. The members and friends of sailing at LYC rallied to raise the donations privately, but it was a Club-wide Campaign with Club-wide support! We feel that this effort in supporting the NSHOF has strengthened the Lewes Yacht Club and sailing in general. We look forward to a lasting relationship with the NHSOF to the benefit of all those with sailing in their blood!! We strongly encourage that all yacht clubs undertake a similar campaign— it was “win-win” for us.”
Bob Edelen, Commodore
Lewes Yacht Club began in 1932 as an idea for a sailing association that was proposed to Marjorie Virden by George Davisson. There were 17 charter members, including Richard Reese, Sr., who became the first Commodore. In 1934 membership grew to 82. Dues were $3.00, with a $1.00 initiation fee.
Four years later, the first clubhouse was completed on donated land, and was expanded and renovated over the years, until March 22, 1962, when a devastating Nor’easter took its toll on the building. Reconstruction the next year began a period of growth for LYC. A marina was built on the canal side in 1969, and in 1982 the Club started their sailing school. Later a pool and shop were built. In 2003, the old clubhouse was demolished to make way for a new, modern facility.